Friday, September 18, 2009

notes from before...

In the early eighties, when I was a shy 20-something art student at the California College of Arts & Crafts, I took a class called "Drawing from Nature"-- or something like it-- from an instructor named Don de Vivieros. I still remember things he said in that class, & handful of places we went to work-- I think my mom still hangs some work from those days. In the move to my new studio last year, this page of notes labeled "DeViveiro's Law", surfaced. And this past weekend, Don-- (a Sonoma County resident), and his daughter-- came into my studio.... a small world, no? And some of this advice-- bears re-reading.

(click on images to enlarge)
notes continued on back with:
work with what happens, don't use force.
don't think while you do, only before or after.
vary vary vary.

1 Comments:

Blogger Bridgette Guerzon Mills said...

what a treasure you have there in your notes! Thank you for sharing them.

2:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Go to older posts